BiPaP Therapy – Purpose, Preparation, Procedure, Risks
01 - Mar - 2022
Bi-level positive airway pressure or BiPap is extremely beneficial for people suffering from breathing problems. Referred to as BPap or BiPap, it is a specially designed non-invasive ventilator. It helps to push air into the lungs of affected people to normalise breathing. The BiPap machine can be purchased or rented from licensed medical equipment sellers.
With the help of this device, pressurized air can be supplied to a patient at home or in the hospital. It is particularly beneficial for people who suffer from pulmonary diseases. The machine delivers pressurized air into the airways and helps to maintain positive pressure while inhalation and exhalation. In comparison to other ventilators, it keeps the air pressure higher while breathing in.
Purpose of using BiPap
A BiPap is generally used for medical conditions that affect the upper airways or the lungs. As a result, it is also used for patients with the chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD). Its use may be suggested to make breathing easier and to prevent any further health complications.
Let’s check out some of the reasons for using BiPap:
- 1) To manage breathing troubles associated with COPD at home
- 2) Treatment of neuromuscular conditions like spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), muscular dystrophy, or conditions that affect respiratory muscles.
- 3) To alleviate breathing difficulties caused by obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) or obesity
- 4) Respiratory support for asthma patients
- 5) Offer relief from lung infections
- 6) To aid the transition from invasive breathing support after surgery or other critical conditions
Sometimes, depending on the patient’s condition regular use of BiPap is suggested at home. You can get a BiPap machine on rent to support everyday treatment requirements.
Preparation for use of BiPap at home
The BiPap machine is a piece of sophisticated medical equipment. You need to be aware of its functioning before usage. Here’s how you should prepare before using the BiPap.
The machine consists of a motor used for blowing air into the tube which connects the motor to the plugs or mask. It also comes with a face mask, nasal plugs, or nasal mask. Some machines are also equipped with a heated humidifier.
Before purchasing the machine, talk to registered medical equipment suppliers. They can advise you to choose the best machine, suitable for your medical needs. A respiratory therapist may also adjust the settings of the BiPap machine before use to maintain adequate air pressure.
Procedure for BiPap use
BiPap therapy may be given in hospitals or at home, depending on specific medical conditions. The healthcare provider, therefore, is the best person to suggest the most suitable method for using the device. While some patients are advised to use it at night, others may be asked to use it throughout the day. Without appropriate usage, it may not be beneficial to the patient.
In the beginning, patients may feel some discomfort due to the mask. But, with time, the patient generally gets accustomed to the flow of air and the face mask. To adjust the pressure settings on the machine, the healthcare provider must be consulted. Make sure not to eat or drink anything while using a BiPap device.
The BiPap machine price varies, depending on the kind of model you choose. Check with a reliable medical equipment supplier for the best price and the differences between models.
Issues faced while using BiPap machines
Patients using BiPap machines may sometimes experience certain symptoms that can be alleviated with expert help. Let’s check out some of the solutions to common problems experienced by BiPap users.
- 1) In case of nasal dryness, a BiPap machine with a humidifier may be of great help. Besides, replacing the face mask with a nasal mask will help to minimise eye or sinus symptoms.
- 2) Headaches may occur in some people. It may be due to sinus congestion and health care providers can prescribe antihistamines to offer relief.
- 3) If patients experience skin irritations or pressure lines, the size of the mask needs to be adjusted.
- 4) For complaints of stomach bloating, talk to the healthcare provider. Changing the pressure settings of the BiPap machine may help.
Risks associated with BiPap use
The BiPap is generally a safe device and poses lower risks of complications for patients. Here are some common risks arising from the regular use of BiPap.
- 1) Skin damage due to the mask
- 2) Dryness of mouth
- 3) Headache
- 4) Eye irritation
- 5) Sinus congestion or pain
- 6) Mild bloating
The risks, however, vary from one person to the other. Based on the age of the patient and the duration of BiPap usage, the complications and risks may manifest with time. For any issues or concerns about your medical condition talk to your healthcare provider immediately.
With proper usage of BiPap, your condition might improve the doctor reduce the pressure on the BiPap machine. The frequency of use may also be reduced depending on your condition. Therefore, stay in touch with a healthcare expert to avail the best treatment.
Disclaimer: The information on this website should not be used as a substitute for professional medical care or advice. Contact a health expert if you have questions about your health.